Saturday, April 9, 2011

Lisa Ekus


One of my first American friends is also my great teacher "Lisa Ekus". She has nutured a whole generation of Chefs and promoted them on the world stage. I was honored to be invited to her house in Massachusetts. I clearly remember Hatfield on January 21st, 2006. Jane Fella came to pick me up from the station and I did not feel to be a stranger even for a moment.
This was the first American home I had visited too. We did a big cooking class to benefit The Food Bank of Western Massachusetts.
http://www.sakiv.org/LisaEkusFoodBankEventMA.html
Her husband David cooked a great dinner of pan seared scallops and home grown greens.
The cooking class was amazing, except that I added too much water to the flour to make breads. We kept adding more flour to make it right. And finally ended up with too many rotis.
In years to come, we have shared great meals together (City bakery, 11 Madison, Tamarind, Otto.....and ofcourse my first apartment) and she has had a very encouraging impact on my life. I have always shared her thoughts with my students and cherished her friendship.
Yesterday when she came to celebrate her daughter Amelia's birthday at Junoon, It was overwhelming to think about our journey together since our first meeting.
I am so much thankful to her and her family for making me feel so accepted as a friend and a chef.
Here is her side of the story
:
http://www.lisaekus.com/blog/?p=813&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Take-outTheBlogOfTheLisaEkusGroup+%28Take-Out%3A+The+Blog+of+The+Lisa+Ekus+Group%29

No comments:

Post a Comment